The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature: drama
This is one of a series of pages on the Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature; use the links in the menu on the left to navigate to the other pages on general materials, poetry and prose.
The AQA course, AS Level English Literature A, requires the study of one post-1990 text and one written between 1800 and 1945; such texts are indicated here.
AQA texts for Unit 2
If you are teaching or studying the AQA course it is essential to refer to the AQA specification to ensure that you are reading the right texts and meeting all the requirements!
Wider reading in drama
- Brendan Behan: The Hostage (Methuen, 1958)
- Sudhar Bhuchar: Child of the Divide (Methuen Modern Plays) post 1990
- Jim Cartwright: Road (Methuen Modern Plays, 1986)
- Caryl Churchill: All plays some will be post 1990
- Claire Dowie: Why is John Lennon Wearing a Skirt? (Methuen Modern Plays, 1996) post 1990
- Brian Friel: Dancing at Lughnasa (Faber, 1990) post 1990
- Lorraine Hansberry: A Raisin in the Sun (Methuen Modern Plays, 1959)
- Sarah Kane: Complete Plays (Methuen Drama, 1998-2006:post 1990
- Tony Kushner: Angels in America (Nick Herne Books, 1992) post 1990
- Martin Mcdonagh: Beauty Queen of Leenane (Methuen, 1996) post 1990
- Sean O'Casey: Three Dublin Plays: Juno and the Paycock (1924), The Plough and the Stars (1926), Shadow of a Gunman (1923) (Faber) pre-1945
- Arthur Miller: Death of a Salesman (Penguin, 1949)
- Mark Ravenhill: Citizenship (Methuen Modern Plays, 2006) post 1990
- Ntozake Shange: Shange Plays 1 (Includes For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enough)
- Timberlake Wertenbaker: Our Country's Good (Methuen, 1988)
- Tennessee Williams: A Streetcar Named Desire (Methuen, 1947)
- International Connections (contributor Jackie Kay): New Plays for Young People (Faber 2003) post 1990
Drama in translation
- Bertolt Brecht: Mother Courage and her Children (German) (Methuen, 1940) pre-1945
- Federico Garcia Lorca: The House of Bernarda Alba (1947), Yerma (1937), Blood Wedding (1936) (Spanish) (Penguin) pre-1945
See the weblinks
on the introductory page for general links for the Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature.